Special-Use Permits

Are You Planning an Activity or Large Group Event that Requires a Special-Use Permit?

In addition to a reservation, the following information will help you determine if your event requires a Special-Use Permit:

  • To assist the park district to better serve you and other park guests, your Special-Use Permit Application must be submitted at least four weeks prior to your event. The permit process helps avoid potential scheduling conflicts and makes sure liability insurance is in place to protect you and the park district.
  • There is no Special-Use Permit fee for the majority of special events other than fees associated with shelter or lodge reservations. However, organizers of active events (ex: 5Ks, benefit walks, or other large group events) who expect more than 100 participants are required to pay for special-duty coverage by two park police officers for assistance with parking and the safety of all guests. Park police officers must be scheduled through the park police department for a minimum of four hours at $35/hour for each officer. The permit holder is required to pay this cost in cash directly to the law-enforcement officers at the conclusion of the event.

The park district reserves the right to deny a Special-Use Permit application based on the nature of the activity, the size of the event, the number of activities occurring in a park each season, or other concerns.

What Kinds of Activities Require a Special-Use Permit?

  • Large group events conducted by schools, Scout groups, churches, businesses, or organizations that will extend beyond the immediate shelter areas, occupancy limits, or typical park uses, and sports teams or sports activities outside of normal field reservations (ex:Scout rocket launches, training sessions, dog training exercises, etc.)
  • Group training, exercise classes, 5K walks/runs, bike rides, poker runs, and/or rest stops
  • Use of party tents or inflatables – If approved, a certificate of liability insurance will be required from the rental company a minimum of three weeks in advance of the reservation. Personal pop-up tents are allowed without a permit.
  • Weddings occurring outside of reservable limits and/or areas (ex: by a lake/pond, wedding tents/chairs, special setup such as straw bales, etc.)
  • Activities that take place outside of normal park hours (ex: night hikes, bonfires, etc.)
  • Commercial photography or filmmaking (does not include family photo sessions)
  • Research projects, special studies, or surveys
  • Bringing any live animal(s)/wildlife of any size to a park with or without a reservation for the purpose of parties, entertainment, shows, etc.
  • Use of remote-controlled devices
  • Access to any park district site closed to the public for any reason

Here’s How to Get Started:

Step 1

Reserve the shelter or sports field as required below:

  • Groups of ten or more people are required to reserve a park shelter or lodge in order to obtain a Special-Use Permit.
  • Some events may require a reservation regardless of group size or may be referred to other park district locations.
  • If you are required to or wish to reserve a field, shelter, or lodge as part of your Special-Use Permit event, please visit www.medinacountparks.com or call the park district office at 330-722-9364 to place your reservation and/or make sure the facility is available for your selected date.
  • If your group is a non-profit holding a 501(c)3, please contact the park office at 330-722-9364 prior to making your reservation as discounts may apply. Failure to register through the park district office may result in the forfeiture of discounts.
  • Any fees due for shelter or lodge reservations must be paid in full by the applicable due dates, or required reservations including Special-Use Permits will be cancelled.
  • All sports fields must be reserved by calling the park district office at 330-722-9364.

Step 2

Please submit a fully completed and signed Special-Use Permit application. Click HERE to download a Special-Use Permit application. Applications must be received a minimum of four weeks prior to or up to one year in advance of your event or activity. Submit the application to the park district office by mail, email, or in person to:

            Medina County Park District

            Attn: Special-Use Permits

            6364 Deerview Lane

            Medina, Ohio 44256

            Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Medina County Park District office hours are: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays. For your convenience, a drop box is located outside of the main entrance door.

Step 3

If approved, a Special-Use Permit will be mailed to you. The permit must be kept with you at all times during your event. Do not publicize your event before receiving an approved Special-Use Permit. If you have reserved a park shelter or lodge, you will receive an email confirmation through the online reservation system. Applicable fees must be paid by the due dates listed.


If you have questions about the Special-use Permit application process, please contact the park district office at 330-722-9364 or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..